is wonderful – and you don’t need a Ph.D. to experience it and make a contribution. Even kids get to know how to make the molecule-thingy move within minutes, a simple down-to earth explanation of clashes, voids and rubberbands is sufficient – of course you have to avoid all the fancy terms from biophysics that usually impress (or shut up) the audience. To all those who take themselves too seriously as scientists, check out the story on the structure of a Monkey virus protein and their blog. The fold.it tool is available for all major platforms, and I can only recommend it. Great work! Cool for teaching and communicating the molecular basis of life. It’s still called “beta” but looks pretty stable to me. Maybe you can convince other nerds to spend some time on folding proteins rather than smashing trolls to smithereens in WoW- the fun factor is definitely there, and the science as well. Check out the video on nature “FoldIt: Biology for Gamers” which has a link to the full paper and the related News feature. An afterthought to the previous post on crowd-sourcing: Such massive online-games in science have the capacity not only to combine the CPU/GPU power of a vast number of machines, but also to integrate some of the most advanced pattern recognition algorithms on the planet: your brain.
Top Posts & Pages
- RT @crissles: have a good day y'all #ParisAgreement https://t.co/Fg0f2V7Oow - 1 month ago
- RT @adriancolyer: Unless your graph is *bigger* than Facebook's, you're probably better off just processing it on a single machine: https:/… - 1 month ago
- RT @DrCRampini: Faculty please please please don't let PIs with poor history of supporting previous trainees take on more grad students. ht… - 2 months ago
- RT @jure: Next-generation algorithms for networks. Slides from my keynote at BigNet workshop at #www2017 (today at 11am). https://t.co/lssM… - 3 months ago
- RT @ERC_Research: We are deeply sad for the loss of Anna Tramontano, great scientist, former member of #ERC Scientific Council and wonderfu… - 4 months ago
- RT @smllmp: I enjoyed this video! :) "What's a Tensor?" youtu.be/f5liqUk0ZTw - 4 months ago
- RT @RichRogersIoT: Simplicity & elegance are unpopular because they require hard work & discipline to achieve & education to be appreciated… - 5 months ago
- RT @moritz_stefaner: Hans Rosling: An Appreciation (from @eagereyes) eagereyes.org/blog/2017/hans… - 5 months ago
- N.O-T/MY-D/E.PA/R.T-ME-N/T. 2.9-C/3
- Augmented Life
- Weekend Science Videos: Views from and into the (night) sky above us
- The great ideas of biology
- Introductions to Graph Databases and Theory
- Beyond content searching: Google’s Knowledge Graph
- Happy birthday Richard !
- Weekend Music Video
- Engineering Connections in an Invisible World – a Crash Course
- Nobel Prize in Technology
- Play more …
- Happy StarWars Day!
TagCloud3D Access Algorithm Alignment Arduino Art Bayesian Berlin Bioinformatics Biology Books Cancer Cloud Code Complexity Crowd Data Design Docking Dynamics embedding Engineering Epigenetics Evolution Fiction Freedom Geometry Graph History HPC Humor Information Interaction Java Layout Learning Lego Literature Machine Math Models Molecular Music Mutations neo4J Networks Open parallel Photo Physics Presentation Processing Protein protein protein interaction Review Robots Science Sequence Sequencing Simulation Social Source StarWars State Statistics Structure Systems Teaching Technology Theory Video Visualisation
CC BY-NC-SA 3.0
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
If you don’t like it…
Saying that you don't understand it
meaning "I don't believe it -
it's too crazy!
- it's the kind of thing ...
I just ...
I'm not going to accept it!"
The other person
well this kind -
I hope you come along with me,
... you have to accept it.
Because it's the way nature works!
If you wanna know
the way nature works
we looked at it, carefully:
that's the way it looks!
You don't like it?
GO SOMEWHERE ELSE!
To another universe -
where the rules are simpler -
philosophically more pleasing -
more psychologically easy -
I can't help it, OK?!
If I am going to tell you honestly
what the world looks like
to human beings who struggled
as hard as they can
to understand it :
I can only tell you what it looks like,
and I cannot make it any simpler ...
I am not gonna do this.
I am not gonna simplify it.
I am not gonna fake it.
I am not gonna tell you
it looks something like
a ball bearing on a spring -
So I am gonna tell you
what it really is like
and if you don't like it
THAT'S TOO BAD!
Richard P. Feynman,
QED Lecture@University of Auckland